Author Topic: New to benchrest (and on this forum)  (Read 7019 times)

Offline bobfortier

• View Profile
New to benchrest (and on this forum)
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
Hi all

My name is Bob, I live in Thetford Mines PQ. I have been shooting milsurps most of the time (Lee Enfields) and last year I bought a Savage Axis in 223 (please don't laugh) to build a project. Why an Axis ? Why not. I made a new stock for it, installed a 12VLP heavy barrel, new trigger, and now it works good.

I am a stockmaker also, made a couple for benchrest rigs and also for F-Class. I am also making Axis replacement stocks.

I wanted to shoot F-Class but the closest long range I have access to is 1h15 away, so going there more than 4 time in the season is a bit expensive.

So I decided to try my luck at benchrest. My range is 100m, so I figure I can learn a lot there. There are also a couple of competition near Sherbrooke that I would like to attend to next year.

I'm here to learn as much as I can. I don't have a big budget, I shoot a 223 rem and I reload for it. I want to do all I can to make my gun more precise.

Here is a picture of my modest 223. I plan on making a new stock for it.

And here is my best group so far. It says 3 but there are 4 in the hole, this was done with 60 grain Berger bullet, with CFE223 as a powder

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 09:58:53 AM by bobfortier »

Offline RayS

• View Profile
Re: New to benchrest (and on this forum)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:39 AM »
Hi Bob:
From one newbie to another, welcome.  I joined just last week and the people here are great.  I've already spoken to a few of them over the phone and am on information overload (they certainly are a knowledgeable bunch). 
RayS

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: New to benchrest (and on this forum)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
Welcome aboard Bob. I have followed many of your stock making stories. Kudo's to you folks who can handle working with wood.

Nice to see some new blood into the world of the short range game. There are more SR Ranges than LR in Canada. Ask all you want and HOPEFULLY in time you will be on the slippery slope. You are pretty close to some of the best shooters in North America.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk