Author Topic: First Annual Fraser Valley VFS Championship: May 5, 2013  (Read 6265 times)

Offline custombullpup

• View Profile
First Annual Fraser Valley VFS Championship: May 5, 2013
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:16 PM »
First Annual Mission Rod and Gun Club Fraser Valley
Varmint for Score (VFS) Championship.
May 5, 2013

The weather predictions were accurate for the First Annual Fraser Valley VFS Championship. It was predicted to be very hot and windy with temperatures to be the highest of 2013, approaching 30 degrees. The day began very pleasantly at 9:00 AM as relay 1 shooters began their 100 yard matches. Twenty three shooters registered which was close to a full house; we can only accommodate 24 in a two relay match.

We were particularly delighted with the six shooters who came across by ferry from Campbell River (Greg Yeomans, Dennis Tipper, Don Sundquist, Jim Goble, Caroline Adams, and Don Ells). Our lone Washington guest, Richard Nicol who is testing the border procedures for us all was another special guest.

Early conditions were good with some light twitchy wind. So the scores really did not show the spread that they might have. The top 11 of the 18 benchrest shooters averaged over 250 points in the Benchrest Class. (Using the 11 point maximum per bull scoring system)

Following the 100 yard matches we had a sandwich and salad lunch in the Clubhouse with just enough time to discuss the good but clearly clanging conditions.

But by the start of the 200 yard relays at 12:30 conditions had turned from quite benign to challenging with heat, mirage, constantly changing winds both in direction and velocity, and lots of dust clouds. Wind flags were flipping frequently. Many shooters, including yours truly, had never shot in these conditions and it really showed. There were only 6 targets that scored over 50, and no one made the 250. The spread at 200 yards was huge- I was told that 200 yards really separates the shooters; it does. Right now I am not one of them!

The factory class of 6 were led throughout by Art Harder whose final 477 aggregate would have placed him right in the middle of the benchrest class! His SAKO 6ppc can shoot and so can he! Art also deserves a special thank you for managing the whole target arrangement with the able help of Sue Parrotta, Paul Koivukoski, David Porter, Frank Oblak and others.

Mel McIntosh and Bob Goehring did a superb job of the scoring and with the computer tally system we were able to head for the awards in mere minutes. Scoring is a very big job in a match and these two pros did a superb job.

Joe Mendham seems to be able to do it all. He Managed the Match, helped everyone, loaded between sessions, and managed to win both 100 and 200, so of course aggregate came to him as well. He is like the energizer bunny but when he sits down with gun, he exhales once and fires off 5 shots so quick the rest of us are still on the sighter it seems!!

We were very pleased that Jim Goble came a solid second in the match so that some of the hardware went to Campbell River Club and that our Chris Klumpp followed closely; he is the one who challenges Joe on our monthly matches.

We were very fortunate to have several very generous suppliers provide us with wonderful prizes and they deserve mention. Sinclair’s, Italian Sporting Goods, Ron Hoehn, Bighorn Sales, Dan Opel, Hirsch Precision, Calvin Yanchiycki, and Korth Group.

I learned I need to spend more time practicing at 200 yards in challenging conditions.

Thanks to everyone who came, helped, and provided advice. Next year will be an even bigger event. We think we can handle three relays now that we have some experience, so our max next year will be 36 shooters- expect the Second Annual Fraser Valley VFS Championship sometime in May 2014.

Our next Club Match is scheduled for Sunday June 2nd. Newcomers are welcome. For more information please contact me at lathamconsult@telus.net

Jim Latham

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: First Annual Fraser Valley VFS Championship: May 5, 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »
Results are below. Well done Jim and Joe! Nice to see matches returning to the lower mainland!

VFS Results

VFS Equipment List

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:16:16 PM by rpollock »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »
Wonderful report Jim.  So nice to read about a GREAT turnout and things moving in the right direction.

Joe Mendham, some good SHOOSTING you had happening.............. LOL

Congratulations to all that took the time to attend the event.

Calvin

My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »
Looks like a great time had by all.

Don Sundquist

Jim Goble

Sam Parrotta

Don Ells

Wally McDonald