Author Topic: What can I expect to pay for a used starter BR rifle?  (Read 8697 times)

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
What can I expect to pay for a used starter BR rifle?
« on: January 21, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »
Hi all,

What should I expect to pay for a used BR rifle?  I'm considering either a 22 caliber or 6, PPC or BR.  Should I expect to pick up another barrel as well?  Is it typical for dies/brass to come with the gun as well?

Thanks,

-- Stephen

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What can I expect to pay for a used starter BR rifle?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Stephen,

I would say anywhere from $1500 to $3000 depending on a number of things. If it is an older BR rifle in a right bolt right port configuration you will be for sure be down towards the $1500 range. If it is more state of the art with a recent custom action, count on getting closer to the $3000 mark, in particular if it is in a real nice stock.

As to dies and brass, each deal is different, if you can get those for a reasonable price, or thrown in, go for it.

Yes you should expect to re-barrel.

Rick
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:44:02 PM by rpollock »

Offline sfulton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:12 AM »
Thanks Rick.  I'll keep an eye on the buy and sell over the next few months while I squirrel money away.

-- Stephen

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
What you will find is that most used BR rifles have around 800 rounds down the barrel. It is surprising how fast that used gun can get shot out. Once you put a new bbl. on it you will likely get about twice as many rounds. Now having said that if Jeff has one for sale buy it! He tends to sell the best shooters to other guys.

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 08:47:50 PM »
Stephan,

Show up to a match, you may be able to buy one cheap.
Of course that depends on badly one of us is shooting that day Ha Ha.

DanO

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:17:22 PM »
We always tease the seller with the idea that If the buyer could see the targets that the seller made that day he would never be able to sell it. ;D

Offline SpencerC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »
There is a 22PPC BR rifle on the Equipment Exchange on the GunNutz forum for $850. It is a 1-14 twist, looks to shoot pretty well.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
That is a decent price a older sleeved Rem. 

There is one sleeved Rem 700 in Manitoba in 6PPC that shoots like a house on fire.  Every where I have been I hear talk of FEAR that rifle has brought upon the Western Shooters......

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline Tony Gauthier

• View Profile
    • APRA
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
I bought my first BR rifle from Clive Moehn for 800. with a 33 power Leupold (24x boosted by Siebert). It was a sleeved 600 remington. He picked me up and took me to a score match at Namaka. On the way he told me that if I liked the gun he would give me a good deal on it. I ended up winning 3rd place and beat him with his own gun. Anyway the match ended and we were on our way home. It remained quiet for quite a ways and I finally asked how much more that gun was going to cost me. We both laughed the rest of the way home. He still gave me a good price on it and that gun shot real well after I put a new bbl. on it. Like a fool I sold it a couple of years later and bought a Panda. That was also owned by Clive, and it shot even better. The bbl just up and gave out right in the middle of the Alberta Provincials one year. Jeff and I started trying to figure out how many rounds that bbl. had and between the 2 of us decided it must have been near 4000. It shot solid .250 aggs right up to the match it gave up in. There were actually pieces of metal missing from the inside when we pulled it off, and I made it to the end of the weekend by not shooting a sighter and JBing it after every 5 rounds. Used bench guns are usually a pretty good deal and if like Dan said you find one that the owner is having a bad day can be an even better deal! 

Offline Brent Meyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 08:31:54 AM »
Just one thing to note.  You may get a good rifle for under a 1000.00.  But save some money for your setup.   Remember the rifle is only as good as the rest, reloading gear, cleaning, flags.......etc

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk