Author Topic: New action  (Read 9195 times)

Offline Brent Meyer

• View Profile
New action
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
Hey guy's

I have finally on the home stretch of finally getting my new CNC milling machine up and running.  I maybe making scope rings again.  But what I'm excited about is getting a new action out there, yes one made in Western Canada.  It will be a single shot, made out of 7075AL.  With a Titanium insert for the barrel and lug area, like a Panda.  I will have a hanger type trigger slot for a Jewell. 

The question, I was thinking of one or the other:

Not supply the bolt,  Just getting the one you want from PTG, the bolt face, extractor, coned, fluted etc......

Or have a bolt like the Barnard Action, and not have to have lug ways in the action, Thus making it cheaper, but adding the cost of the bolt.

Your thoughts please.
Brent

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New action
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »
Brent,

A new action would be nice to have in Canada. We do have to wait a long time to get something out of the US.

Anyhow, having been down this road before I have a couple of thoughts.

Keep it light, with the trend to heavier scopes we need some wiggle room. I wouldn't want to have to source a bolt separate from the action itself, you are then back to dealing with ordering out of the US. Try and use an existing footprint for the action so we can choose from a variety of stockmakers without having to re-invent the wheel as to the inletting. It needs to cock easily, as everyone seems to be on to that these days in BR, so you can shoot quickly. I still really like the integral scope rail, but I may be alone in that idea. Of course dual porting and ejectors will be needed until someone figures out something that will let us shoot even quicker.

As to 2 lug, 3 lug or 4 lug etc and hall/barnard style bolts that is something I hope others can chime in on.

Rick

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
Hi Brent  
 I have made 4 similar to what you describe. Rick is right don't make half the project it won't fly.
If I can offer advice let me know. Its a bit trickey to make a bolt, but  you will be glad you did it all.
Here are some pics.  7075 Aluminum  4140 Pre-hardened insert.  Jewel triggers on hangers. Basically a Stolle with some small changes (footprint is the same for stocking)  Good luck.
 regards  Randy  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:47:37 PM by RJohansen »

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:03:27 PM »
Brent   My .02 cents for what they are worth.
 3 and 4 lug actions generally require more force on the bolt handle to open and cock this translates into more movement of the gun in the bags. (your cocking cam must be steeper to handle this in 60 or 45 degs thus the extra force reqired) Bit of a concern when you are trying to shoot fast ie running a condition.The high-power crowd (belly floppers!!) move their guns around so much it doesn't seem to affect them the same way. There are fewer 3 and 4 lug actions in short range benchrest.
 Randy

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »
 Nice, looking action Randy.
 I would also suggest a 2 lug action and definitely make the bolt. I am not sure I understand the need of a 3 lug action and a 60 deg bolt travel being an improvement. It saves just a small amount of lift and increases bolt lift, I will  also qualify this by saying I have not used one so I only have an opinion.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 04:57:11 PM »
Randy the barels on your rifles, what weight barrels are those?  What is the muzzle diameter on the barrels?

They look small like what I have been shooting.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »
I shot a Wichita when I first started. 3 lugs at 60 deg. This really is a robust action well made and in there day I think some of the big name boys used them. The action is full bolt as well (like a Hall) only .875 diameter. But the word that best describes these type actions (as per Rob MacLennan) is CLUNKY. Bolt lift was measurabely heavier.

Offline RJohansen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
Randy the barels on your rifles, what weight barrels are those?  What is the muzzle diameter on the barrels?

They look small like what I have been shooting.

Calvin
They are all MacLennan LV contour close to 5lbs 2 oz at 22 inches .they are about .920 at the muzzle.
The bench guns are all right on 10.5 lbs LV class

Offline Brent Meyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
Thanks

I get the supply the bolt thing.  roger on that.  bolt lift a great thing to consider,  It would probably a 2-3 lug design.  Use an existing stock inletting.  Integral bases.

Great input.

Brent

Offline DanO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:54 PM »
As a user of a 3 lug, I have found that the ones made by BAT are not appriecatibly harder on opening.
Having said that, it did take some time to get the action run in to make only slightly harder opening
then the typical 2 lug. I now operate the bolt opening with one finger. (notice no bias here ;)
The cam roller on the BAT may be the reason for the close to the 2 lug opening performance.

From a manufacturing stand point, not having to do the lug raceways seems like a good deal.
On the other hand, as Rick stated weight is always a concern. When you look at the diameter of
a 3 lug bolt it is noticeably larger, so trading off where one removes the material to keep the weight
down is an area to keep in mind.

As a fan of one piece scope ring (Marv Pearson style) I would be interested in this style of ring if
you are making them for sale. I believe Robert S. is also a fan of them.

If you go forward with this project(s), please keep use informed on this forum.

DanO

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk