Author Topic: BRSC Canadian Benchrest Records  (Read 65290 times)

Offline Mike Darlow

• Southern Alberta
    • View Profile
BRSC Canadian Benchrest Records
« on: August 10, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
Hey Rick, would it be possible to get a sticky post with all the Canadian Benchrest Records On it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 02:21:02 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: sticky post with all the Canadian Benchrest Records
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
This is my most recent copy of BRSC records, somebody else will have to post the SORSA records:

BRSC 2006 Records
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:03:13 AM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:18:09 PM »
Not a whole lot of records were broken. I'll check with Paul and see if he has a more current book.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »
I do have something more current.  I will e-mail it to Rick.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »
Thanks to Calvin here is the BRSC 2009 Record Book

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 06:40:15 PM »
Here is the updated record book. Now including a record from Ted Gaillard and Mike Darlow. Well done gents!

Now print a copy to keep in your tool box!

BRSC 2010 Record Book

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
Re: BRSC Canadian Benchrest Records
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
Bill the match has to be registered with Paul Ross in Alberta and the individual MUST be a member of BRSC.  Things are not as STRICT as in the NBRSA in regards to target handling and who sends them.  Honor system and matches are small.

If a potential record is shot, the targets are signed by the scorer and 2 ref's, or 3 ref's.  They are, or should be checked to make sure the backers have 5 holes and all looks in order.  If there happens to be a member of the scoring commitee at the shoot he will take the targets and begin the process.  If not they are sent to Paul Ross the Chair and it goes from there.  The targets must be recieved by Paul if sent, NO LATER than 30 days.

Paul Ross is the chair and scorer, Herb Lang is SK, and Grant Schick in MB.

There are some SMALL records and there are some that appear large but have not been broke in a long time.

Hope this helps.

Calvin

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Bill, great questions you have there.  I am the least likely person to answer for you but this is my take on BRSC Canadian records.  Some people MAY or WILL NOT like my take on the matter but it is what it is.  The information I pass on is all hearsay and my OWN personal opinion.  I am also going to get as much info that I can from Paul Ross the current records chair.

I have heard a lot about the past and records.  Some of it is good and other parts of it bad.  I do not want to have to type what I have all heard.  This is no different than the feuds of the past between the East and the West which is hearsay.  What is in the past is in the past.  What we need to do is to MOVE forward.  

The question is do we want to see the sport grow or not?  I have yet to meet a Canadian shooter whom I royally dislike.  We all have our own personalities and feuds within this small community here in Canada.  There are those like myself who want to see it grow and there are those who really could give a rats A++.  I understand those peoples side as well.  Part of that reasoning is issues of the past.  Until we let those go I really feel BRSC is destined to go nowhere.  We will have a local shoots but that will be it.  I think you understand what I am getting at.

Getting back to the BRSC Records the same can be said for them.  They are what they are.  We cannot change or contest the records that are in place, when they were held (night shoots), or how the measuring committee handled them.  Again we can move forward from what is in place.  There are some small ones but a lot of them are really NOT that impressive.  We know there are a lot of possible records which were never submitted because of the past issues.  Take a look at the Selkirk range records.   There are some nice ones there.  Possibly nothing that cannot be beat but that could have been possible Canadian records.

There has been debate about the International Records.  I did not realize until I got looking at the current updated ones and what the controversy is about.  I thought a Canadian International was only for a Canadian shooting in the US.  Wrong.  I see American shooters names on that list.  Jerry Siminson for example (not sure of spelling).  So in fact the past was that the Canadian International records went both ways.  Not what I expected or the way I would like to see it.  My take is a Canadian International Record should be for Canadians and an International record for those who are not.  

The next issue has been and that is the ability to get the target backers from a US shoot.  In most cases pretty tough.  Bill has said it is do able but you must remember that Bill Gammon has been shooting in the US much longer than Calvin who?  If we are looking at keeping International Records things need to be looked at how to make it work without a lot of hassle.  My take is forget the backers.  Have the target signed by the official scorer and someone to witness the signing.  This is where TRUST becomes an issue as to whether or not the targets will be tampered with by the shooter.  How does one make it work today?  We are so much more capable of ways today than there were in the past.

To finalize, the way it is today whoever is submitting a Canadian International record they should be a member of BRSC in good standing.

I really feel BRSC can succeed.  What we need are the people in place who are willing to work at it and work together.  It is long overdue that the ground rules be clarified and or re established.  Those who do not like it do not have to be a part of it.  Yes we are small, but if we set the rules, the rules are the rules.  You do not like it you do not have to register your shoots or be a part of BRSC.

This is just a few of my thoughts.  I think we need to keep this discussion moving to see if there is something worth having.  I know there are a lot of people who DO NOT want involvement in the politics of the BRSC.   They just want to shoot.  Well I just want to shoot as well.  It is easy to not be involved and shoot well but just wait till the day I am involved (oh I am) and can KICK SOME AS+++.  I do not need to be involved in helping the Selkirk guys run their matches but I love shooting this game and I will do my part to make it enjoyable for myself and others.  We must remember again we are a small group and someone has to do it.  We have to check our egos at the door and NOT POUT about it.  Forget about making fools of ourselves in front of others.  I have done it and do it daily.  Look at BR Central and the stupid things I say.  They may be stupid at times but I will ADMIT my faults.

This is a start to what I hope is a CONSTRUCTIVE discussion.

Calvin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:40:29 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »
BRSC Records talk again from Cal’s point of view.

I am waiting to hear from Paul in regards to more info.   Does anyone know if there was a step by step process put in place for records?  Or is this like a lot of what I feel BRSC has been based on, running by the seat of our pants?  I am talking documentation.  If so it is time to change that.  If BRSC is to function and the BRSC Records function a paper trail is required.  

The people who started BRSC are either unfortunately dead or not involved in the sport any more.  This is not meant to take away what they have accomplished but the GREY AREAS are overwhelming in regards to BRSC.  Dennis Sorensen is still around but has not been involved in BR for many years.  I do not know the influences of the few people who shot last year who have shot back in the day.  People like Ted Gaillard, Herb Lang, Gerry Bourgault, Wayne Miller, Paul Ross, Grant Schick, Murray Benson etc, etc.....

I would like to think there is a NEW generation of BR shooters now.  No, THERE IS a new generation of shooters.  To a few of us the BRSC Records MEAN something as is the chance to win an Aggregate or Grand Aggregate followed by a 2 Gun Win.  The current records are held by individuals who took the time to submit their targets for scrutiny by the Records committee.  I am not trying to take away what they have accomplished.  I have had a few phone calls and private discussions on this and what has come to light is Joe Mendham and Wayne Miller hold many records.  From the little I know about Joe and Wayne if you talk to them about their accomplishments they are pretty humble about them.  It is no big deal is the sense I get.

Many of those records may NEVER be broke as the different classes are not shot anymore.  Unfortunately the following in BR is just not there to hold all those shoots.  What is our CORE group of shooters?  Those willing to travel?    I think we need to concentrate our efforts on what we presently shoot.  In other words I feel we need to grandfather more of the BRSC Records for the history books.  They will still be there for the future shooters to enjoy.

We need to standardize the process and have that process in writing.  I hate to say it but BRSC has been to quiet lately and it is either time to shake it up or ship it out.  I for one am willing to put time and effort into it even if I have to be Prosecutor, Judge and Jury.  I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I will do my best to contribute.

Time to start work on another trigger and get ready for a day full of hockey and Nascar.

Calvin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:43:43 AM by cyanchycki »

Offline Joe Mendham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
  Bill  You're absolutely correct, I agree with everything you've said. 

This time.

Joe

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »
Mike, Bill basically answered it all.  

Like I said there is a new generation of shooters coming up.  If we want this to work we ALL have to work together.  Open conversation today is the easiest it has ever been with telephone, cells and I-net.  The problem lies in the small numbers.  NO one wants to upset a fellow shooter as they are scared to offend them for reasons they may quit.  We cannot afford that.  We need to RESET the ground rules for members and the clubs and we MUST FOLLOW those rules.  If not it WILL NOT WORK.   We know there is reluctance to change but we must SUCK IT UP.  If anyone or any club does not want to be part of it then so be it.  

There is more interest in this sport than there has been in years.  I for one have called the old guard in Ted Gaillard, Herb Lang to name a few, egging them on to shoot one last match.  To introduce themselves to the new shooters personally.  What did they do?  Shot 3 and 2 matches respectively.  I loved every minute of seeing them at the shoots last year and look forward to seeing them this year.  I may have not been the reason they shot but I know I reached out.  

Rick starting up this site has contributed to the sport moving forward.   Just pay attention to how many quests visit as well as those who have signed up.  Yes they may not be die hards but they drop in on occasion.  There is valuable information that can be shared amongst us.  I do know that my decisions will be based on those people and clubs who embrace the growth.  It is going to take time.  There is some work to do but not a lot.  When it is set in place I think we will something else to look forward to.  

Calvin
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:58:27 PM by cyanchycki »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »
Mike to add a bit more to what you said about how we get more clubs to join.

It is going to take work.  It is NO small task.  The Geographic structure of our country makes it very difficult.   The key part is going to be communication.  We as individuals are going to have to step up to promote the sport locally in our own Provinces or local clubs.  You have started with Lethbridge to get that rolling again.

How do we get the Local clubs that hold shoots to join BRSC or register matches?  That is the challenge.  Look at your score league for example, Are the people willing, better yet, have the equipment that will  into a category that would fit a sanctioned BRSC match?  A lot of clubs have shoots but we need to figure out how to sell the idea.

Many people look at this site and are reluctant to post thoughts or ideas.  Without these thoughts or ideas it can be trying.

I love this sport and wish I were able to play the game more than I do.  It is my passion, hobby, life, etc. etc.  I eat, breath, and sleep Benchrest.  I am not the most knowledgeable in the game but I try to absorb what I can about it.  Shovelling snow will wait if ithas to do with this game. 

I will admit that at times my daughter is put on the back burner.  Am I proud?  No.  I know she understands what this sport means to me and I was fortunate to convey it to her on her level when she was little.  I guess what I am trying to say is that either people want it badly or they do not?

This has been a little off topic but I will get to what I wanted to post.

I just wanted to inform everyone that I am working to the best of the information I have in front of me to compile a running history of the BRSC Records.  I believe I have been able to start back from around 1971.  Thanks Bill for the discs.  I am loving seeing some of the items that were published in the old BRSC News.  I am up to about 1975.  I am doing it on Excel right now just to compile the data and when I get it to where it can get put up, it will happen.

If anyone has anything in regards to records of the past or more recent PLEASE let me know.  I know there is a spell where BRSC went stagnent.  Anyone know what that time period was?  This will make it easier for me to not get to caught up in looking for information through those years.

Later,
Calvin

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
I had a typo on a couple of items on the 2010 Records.  I updated the current records with the corrections.  Things became evident doing the records thru the years.

I will have to update the miniature cards as well.

Calvin

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
Updated 2011 record book is now posted.

Now print a copy to keep in your tool box!

BRSC 2011 Record Book

« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:43:15 PM by rpollock »

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 04:35:10 PM »
I have had a few emails in regards to the BRSC Records Procedure.  The draft was discussed in short detail this past year at the AGM.  There needs to be a few things tweaked with it.  I want to have this resolved at the AGM in Rosebud and implemented this year.

So it would be great if those interested individuals could take a moment and review the procedure that I had outlined.  My plans are to discuss this with the Selkirk guys in May and I am going to ask if Rick would review with the Rosebud gang at the shoot to make this happen at the AGM.

I will post the few concerns that have been brought about in the next little while.

Thanks for your time.

Calvin

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Updated record book.

BRSC 2012 Record Book

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:45:19 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:44:06 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: BRSC Canadian Benchrest Records 2017
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Updated record book.

BRSC 2013 Record Book
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:08:18 PM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2015, 02:04:55 PM »
It is official, we have a bunch of records back from the scoring committee. Thanks to Paul Ross, Dan Opel and Joe Mendham for getting us caught up on the records!

Certificates to go out to the following for breaking the Canadian records:

Rob Seemann UNL 5-shot 100 yards .092" shot at Rosebud June 13, 2015
Rob Seemann UNL 5-Shot 200 yards .252" shot at Rosebud June 14, 2015
Hugh Williamson UNL 5-Shot 200 Aggregate .1998" shot at Rosebud Jun 14, 2015

The following were shot at Holton at the NBRSA Nationals in 2014 and will receive Certificates for breaking the Canadian International Records:

Hugh Williamson UNL 10-Shot 200 yards .356"
Hugh Williamson HV 5-shot 100 yards .054"
Rick Pollock HV Grand Aggregate 100+200 .2431"
Rick Pollock SP Grand Aggregate 100+200 .2557"
Rick Pollock 2-Gun LV+HV 100+200 .2481"

The following 2 Canadian International Records were also set at Holton. Note the NBRSA shoots 8 targets at each yardage in UNL. As these targets broke the 5 target Canadian International Records the scoring committee decided to issue new records in the 8 target category to avoid combining 5 target and 8 target aggregates. These are only contested at the NBRSA Nationals.

Hugh Williamson UNL 8x10 200 Yards Aggregate .2833"
Rick Pollock UNL 8x10 Grand Aggregate 100+200 .3186"

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:26:39 AM by rpollock »

Offline rpollock

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Record book to be updated in due course and posted online.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk