Author Topic: getting started  (Read 19538 times)

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
getting started
« on: January 06, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
Greetings I am getting my feet wet in the shooting events game and looking for some input from you seasoned vets. I have recently accurired a HVA. 222 VT rifle. Not sure how familier you folks are with them. They are built for target shooting!

My qestions are:

1) what class would be best suited for this rifle?
2) the rifle has no scope so Iam looking for your advise here. Iam wide open to your suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thought, and input
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:10:04 PM by gburwash »
I perform all my own stunts!

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:14:02 PM »
I have recently moved in to Crooked Creek Alberta from Calgary. I belong to the Valleyview gun range.

Offline John VM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 04:54:12 PM »
 This would make a very good factory class rifle. Get the highest quality 36 or higher power scope that you can afford.
 Check with Rick or the other guys in Alberta as to where they might have shoots for factory class rifles. There usually are not to many competitors as most move into full benchrest guns within a years time.
 Welcome to the site.

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 07:30:52 PM »
Thanks gang

Can someone give me the paramaters of shooting in factory class? Or show me where I can find it? Secondly, Iam reading that as far as scopes go 36 power seems to be the flavor. Should a guy be considering,  fixed or variable? There is an awful lot of guys shooting Weaver T36 and Sightron SII 36x
Wich would be better for factory class?

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:36 AM »
There is factory class and hunter class (the latter being limited to 6 power scopes). If you get a variable 'varmint' scope that starts at 6 power, you will be able to 'see' for yourself what that is like, and go to higher power at will to appreciate that as well.
I personnally do not see a 36X fine ch scope on that rifle of yours for starters.
If you get the bug for benchrest competition, your first rifle and scope will not be your last.
There is no arguement that 36x scopes are popular but check out the guns that they are used on. Its a very specialized package.  
As already mentionned do get the best quality scope that you can afford.
Someone once said 'If you find a good rifle, you can date it; but if you find a good scope, marry it!'
Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your shooting. You will find that target shooters are a great bunch, eager to help and support each other at all levels.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:48:16 AM by Blairguy »

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:15:57 AM »
Fantastic,

I am fond of leupold scopes, I own about 5 and only ever had to send one back for repair, and had it back on the rifle in under two weeks.
I have found a used varix III  6.5x20 for $700.00 you guys figure this adequate for a factory class rifle? Or should a guy be looking for more?
Reason I ask is,  the scope can be moved to a newly built 6BR should a guy go that route. I have never used scopes with as much magnification as these.
Thanks for all the great information in advance, some people look for validation on what their thoughts are. I on the other hand will make a decision based on what you gentlemen are saying.

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:41 AM »
If you might eventually transfer the new scope to another rifle and you already own 6x capable scopes then it would be important to know more about what you already have and what your plans are. It would definitely be an advantage to have maximum magnification capability in the 36x to 50x range for a purebred custom bench gun. The reason I like a variable is to adjust to conditions when mirage is bad and a 36x is too much. But in some cases, the weight of the scope becomes critical to meeting the rules on weight. 50x is great for seeing 22 cal the bullet holes in the target at 200 yards.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »
Welcome.  As many would say, "down the slippery slope"........

Yes your rifle would be more suited for a factory class type of match/competition be it group or score.  There is nothing in stopping you from shooting or trying out a group BR match.  In regards to score matches I am not sure what is held in Alberta.  There are some clubs that have local fun shoots that you could try.  First that comes to mind is Lethbridge.  I believe they have some.  Group well when you hear from Rick there is Rosebud.

Optics for the type of shooting we usually talk about on this board, 36X, 40X, or 45X fixed scopes. 

36X  there is Sightron, Weaver, Leupold
40X  Sightron, Leupold, March
45X  Leupold, Weaver(somwhere in this range), March
45 and higher  March

Buy what you can afford.  You like Leupold?  I like Leupold.  Have them on my BR rifles, both my .223's, and one that was built for BRSC that I won.

I would stay away from the variables unless you really need it.  Then I would go March.  The price tag is more but if it is a NON issue, buy what you can AFFORD.

Good Luck and maybe see you in Calgary this year.

Calvin
My house is protected by the good Lord and a GUN............
When I Die I don't wanna go Sober..................................

Offline rpollock

• Long Term Resident of BR Addiction Center
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
I am not aware of any "factory class" in any of the sanctioning bodies anywhere, since most of those programs fizzle out due to lack of interest. I stand to be corrected though, maybe someone is running sanctioned "factory class" shoots somewhere.

I am not aware of any hunter class shoots in Western Canada.

In Alberta there are informal club shoots shot under local rules at Medicine Hat and at Lethbridge, maybe someone from those clubs will respond. They may have a factory class of some sort.

Mission BC runs an informal varmint for score shoot that I believe has a class for unmodified factory rifles.

At Rosebud we run under BRSC rules, Our matches are group shoots usually in LV, HV, and Unlimited class. You are welcome to come to these matches.

We will also run a BR101 school on May 24, which you are welcome to come to.

Up where you are, your best bet is to start organizing a shoot at your local club, otherwise you will need to travel a lot just to get your feet wet.

Rick
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 02:48:35 PM by rpollock »

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
Great stuff guys,

It looks like i will be going to rosebud on May 24th. Looking forward to it big time! And based on what i am hearing for a. 222 platform  The 36 fixed is the way to go. (according to you guys)

Iam thinking a sightron is in my immediate future unless one of you fellas say otherwise. Perhaps one of you guys has one  sitting around you want to sell.. ? If so you know where to find me.

Thank for the direction!

Grant

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 07:12:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Grant , Glad  to see your coming to Rosebud , always great to see new competitors getting into the sport, you will be in good hands with Rick, he pushed me down the slippery slope of real Benchrest shooting ,not just shooting from a bench a few years ago and Its been a lot of fun ever since ,  lots of great mostly untapped info to be found on this forum you just need to ask the questions, unlike some of the mainstream forums most on here actually do compete so you will get current info from real competitors,Since your just getting started maybe some info would be good, what kind of br are you interested in ? What's your budjet ? And what are some of your short term and long term goals? That will go a long ways in helping the people on this forum to help you on what ever path you take, it will save you time and money in the end. As rick said all the sanctioned stuff out west is group shooting , which is the hardest type of precision shooting there is. Also the most rewarding when you do it right.
As for scopes I'm with the other guys here who recommended the leupold and March scopes in 40 and up power. If budjet is a concern I think the 36 weaver and such can be found for about half the price
Good luck have fun and make sure to ask lots of questions ,good reading would be Tony Boyer's book and Mike Ratigans book , they have tons of good info.

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
Bill, you must be easier on the new guys........  Can't chase them away before they have even started. :o :o 

I started out with Weavers 36X's.  Then I bought a Sightron 36X(which I still own).  I got a great deal on a Leupold 45X frozen by Bukys with mount for 1000.00 Canadian.  Wish I could have had more to buy at that price. 

The only reason I walked away from my Weavers and sold them was I got to really liking the extra power.  Otherwise I would still have them.

I have always been a Leupold fan and will continue to be.  Even if it may mean sending it in every year to be checked out.  In reality if it is sent in how do I know for sure if it is checked over??????  Could be an easy way to grab money by Leupold?????  But what do I know?????

The March, well maybe they are the cream of the crop.  But for that kind of money with a limited warranty I am not about to sell the farm.  There are those that can and those of use who cannot and those of us that will dream........

I have relegated to being the DREAMER..........

What ever you choose Grant, it will work to get you going.  I may not hold any records, may have not shot any teen aggs, or have nearly the rounds down range than most of the regulars who frequent the board, buy what you can afford.  Then shoot all you can over wind flags to figure out what it does to your bullets on paper.  There is a lot of opinions out there but there is nothing like chucking lead over flags learning how to shoot the wind....... 

JMO

Calvin

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 09:13:51 PM »
Thanks Bill

I rather enjoyed your response, i have a real love for leuplod scopes as well. All my hunting rifles wear them. I am glad eveyone is eager to help me out.
I cant lose sight that my rifle is a factory offering. I just cant run with the big dogs shooting march scopes on 6 BR rigs. To answer another gentlmans question, I have absolutly no prior experience! So i have no idea as to what matches i will be available to shoot in.
So what iam about to do is get a powerful variable scope, use it on the 222, and see howmuch fun I have. I can always move it to a custom 6br rig afterward if Iam enjoying my self. ( No Slippery Slope Yet) !!!!

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:13 PM »
Bill,
Is your article on how to set up a 223 for score shooting still available? I'd like to read it.
Thanks. Mike

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
Grant,
Along the lines of 'listening to PROVEN experts', the BR101 school on May 24 mentionned in one of Rick's post would be an excellent way to see what Benchrest is all about.
I drove for 7 hours to get to a BR 101 course in Maine that was put on by Pete Wass, Randy Jarvais and some other Mainiacs. It was worth it and then some! It didn't make me an expert but they let me shoot their rifles.........AWESOME! My point is that the May 24th clinic looks like a rare opportunity for you.

Offline Dwayne Cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 02:38:49 PM »
Bill, I too would like to read your magazine article.

Thanks

Dwayne

Offline cyanchycki

• View Profile
    • Selkirk Game and Fish
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 05:14:40 PM »
Bill you are not being harsh you are just being you..............  ALL bite and no bark......LOL ;D ;D ;D

Not fair Dwayne.........  :P :P :P

Offline gburwash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
Bill
Hell I didnt take to heart anything. No worries I rather enjoyed it!  Great information has been shared and Iam greatful!  Iam thinking a powerful variable scope will make the most sence in my case,  if benchrest really floats my boat, then I will commit to building something serious, and move the variabe scope over to the new platform. 
I dont have an issue with putting on a few km to try something new. I have enrolled in the BR101 course at rosebud.  Should be fun and a real eye opener.
Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to send me in the right direction.

Grant

Offline Blairguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
And another thing, (I am on a rant now), just remember you are getting into the most serious side of precision, and there is so much help out there, that it is mind bogling. But do not listen to the so called experts who say, I can shoot .5 all day, WOW. That just bought you last place at the Nationals. I think 2 of the .1350 aggs, was shot by Gene Bucky's, who unfortunately sat next to me on the left side, Bart Sauer on the right and guess who sat beside him? Mark Buettgen, OH WELL. Are you going to equal that? not a chance in hell, considering the rifle and Group shooting, but you are not into that part and you won't be yet. Keep the direction you are going and you will have fun, (and that is the whole idea), and maybe you will move up the custom stuff, which is also a lot of fun. Another thing, you have subscribed to one of the most leading sources of information there is in the extreme accuracy game, use it, and read it, and listen to what the "PROVEN" experts tell you.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/12/you-go-girl-ten-year-old-angelina-bests-benchrest-big-boys/

Offline Pesky ab

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 06:11:46 PM »
Please explain the above , not sure what your trying to convey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk